If you’re thinking about obtaining a pharmacy technician online degree, there are some considerations you need to look at first. Most importantly, you need to find out whether you even need a degree to enter this field.
Many states only require a certification, which means you could be wasting a lot of time and money that could be put to better use.
What Do Pharmacy Technicians Do?
The job duties vary depending on whether you are working in a retail, or hospital setting. If you work in a retail setting, your duties may include:
- Accepting and verifying prescriptions
- Entering patient information into a database
- Filling prescriptions with the appropriate liquids or pills
- Prescription label making
- Determining whether there are any possible drug interactions and explaining them to the patient
- Ringing up prescription orders at the register
If you work in a hospital setting, you may be required to:
- Fill prescriptions
- Record medications given to patients
- Assemble medications to be given to patients
- Ensure that all medications prepared are verified by a licensed pharmacist prior to administration
Of course, there may be other duties added depending on the organization you work for, but these are the standard tasks usually assigned to pharmacy techs.
Most States only require you to pass the Pharmacy Technician exam in order to enter this field. You can obtain this certification in different ways.
- Many pharmacies provide on the job training, and allow you to take the exam within a specified time
- If you are hired for the job without experience, many organizations will pay for your training and certification exam.
- You can attend classes at a local community college designed to help you pass the certification exam
- You can self study and pass the certification exam on your own
There are many ways to become a pharmacy tech that do not require you to attend college. However, if you plan to move up the ranks in the pharmacy field, you may want to consider courses that will help you with that goal.
While online schools for pharmacy technicians may provide you with important knowledge, most States do not require it in order to work in the field. It is much cheaper to simply get certified or get on the job training.